How To Make Kombucha At Home For Cheap
This is a basic recipe that will make 1 gallon.
- 1 cup of organic cane sugar
- 5 bags of black tea
- 1 Kombucha SCOBY (Culture)
- 1 cup of starter liquid (draw from top of the previous batch
- 1 Gallon of Purified (Not from the tap)
- A pot to boil water
- A brewing vessel – Glass is best but (never use plastic)
- A cloth cover (to keep fruit flies out)
- A rubber band
Next, Make Your Sweet Tea Concentrate
This is the stuff that will feed your mother culture and turn into delicious Kombucha Tea:
- Bring 4 cups of water to a rapid boil.
- Mix the hot water & tea bags to your 1 gallon brewing vessel.
- Let steep for atleast 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags.
- Add your cup of sugar and stir it until it dissolves.
- Then fill your gallon vessel up with cold water
- Wait until the tea and water in the vessel is room temperature and then add your SCOBY (this is important because very hot water will kill your SCOBY).
- Cover the top with a thick cloth and wrap a rubber band around it to secure it.
Set it and forget it
- Find a place in the kitchen or in a cupboard with a temperature between 70 – 80 degrees where your kombucha can brew for 10 days or so.
- If you like your kombucha a little sweet then this should be enough time.
- If you like it stronger then allow it to brew for another week or so.